Sunday, March 28, 2010

Pain doesn't always mean gain ...

I had a lazy start to the week in terms of exercise, but was trying to make up for it at the end of the week.  On Saturday we took a walk to the park as a family and most of us played basketball together, too.  I got a pretty good workout in, and then rested while the others played (basketball, riding bikes, etc.).  Just before we left I decided to shoot a few more hoops.  I want to say that was my mistake, but I think it should really the real problem was my choice of shoes.  I wore my "shaping" shoes to maximize the benefits of the walk.  They are not supposed to be worn when running, and a thinking person would know that applies to basketball, too.  Okay, so I knew it, I just thought it would be okay.  I started out gingerly and things were fine, so I thought it wouldn't be a big deal.  It was okay, until the very end when I turned my ankle going after a rebound.  I limped home where I promptly took ibuprofen, iced it, and propped it up.  I slept  with it propped up last night, too.  I am glad to report that I can walk on it normally (most of the time, anyway).  It is bruised and swollen below the ankle bone and up the side of my foot.  I am glad that it is not any worse than that!  I won't be able to walk (for exercise, or in those shoes) for a couple of days probably, but I did get a workout in tonight.  I used weights to work on my upper body, and my foot held up fine for that.  At least I didn't use this as an excuse to not do anything today.  I think I am making progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment