Monday, March 1, 2010

Getting started

I was finally inspired by these pictures of me to get serious about getting healthy - again. I had started a couple of years ago with a gym membership but that didn't last long. I tried using a gazelle glider in my house, but that just attracted little kids and I was scared I would hurt them. It also had started making weird squeaking noises that WD40 wouldn't get rid of anymore. I tried taking walks in my neighborhood, but that was difficult with a 3 year-old tagging along. He complained if he walked and if I pushed him on his bike. Then just before Thanksgiving I totally wiped out on my kitchen floor and broke my tailbone. So, I just stopped trying to exercise for the most part.

Then came my anniversary in late December. For our joint present, my husband bought us some exercise equipment and developed a "get healthy" plan for us to encourage each other. My initial reaction was that it was not the most romantic present, but I have grown to appreciate it more each day since then. The plan incorporates exercise, healthy eating choices, and working on our relationship with each other. We started it in January, and this blog is going to be a sort of journal through the rest of the year and my progress on the plan.

My tailbone was (and is) still healing so the exercise was pretty mild at the beginning. I got a little more intense and the tailbone started hurting more. I am still trying to find the right balance with the exercise amount and intensity. For the most part I use the Wii to get my exercise in. For a lighter exercise I will play tennis for about 30 minutes. For a more intense workout I will do a routine on EA Sports Active. (I love that game, by the way. It gives a really good workout!) I also use a Denise Austin book, Shrink Your Female Fat Zones, for strength training routines.

I had already begun to work on our family eating habits. I have been making more food from scratch (or at least from less processed beginnings). I had been trying to cut out most of the high fructose corn syrup and artificial sweeteners. Since the challenge began, I have also been trying to cut back on overall calories and reduce the amount of junk food in the house. For snacks, I usually have fruit now. I have really increased the amount of fruit that I eat, but I still have trouble getting more veggies. I eat out more than I should, but I don't eat as much when I do. Instead of soda I will drink water or sweet tea. I will skip the fries, have fewer of them, or have a yogurt instead. I still have several cups of coffee a day, but I use less sugar and milk than I used to in each cup. Thanks to a really cool book that my in-laws gave me for Christmas, Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day, I have started making more of our bread, too. I still have to buy some every now and then, but it has helped to make most of the bread. I haven't gotten the wheat versions down yet, but I haven't given up on them.

So far, I have seen some progress. I have lost a few pounds and my clothes are fitting looser. I was even able to tighten my belt a notch! We are not talking "Biggest Loser" numbers, but it is progress all the same. Considering that I am still struggling with my tailbone I will consider these first two months a success.

I still have a long ways to go, and am not ready for the after pictures yet, but I am encouraged by what both of us have accomplished so far. Ultimately, this is about being healthier (not skinnier), and I do think we are healthier now than we were at the beginning of the year. Here's to more healthy times to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment